Your Guide to Selecting JVC Batteries for Your Camcorder
The batteries in your camcorder help power the device so that you can capture video and photos, whether youre shooting a documentary or recording a sports event. When selecting JVC batteries for your camcorder, there are different options from which to choose. Here are some questions that may come up in the selection process.What types of batteries are available?
- Lead-acid batteries: This type of camcorder battery uses a combination of lead sulfate and an acid to transfer and store energy to the camcorder. Of the camcorder batteries, this style will be the largest.
- Nickel-cadmium batteries: These batteries are designed to provide a steady voltage throughout the discharge cycle. NiCd batteries are recharged using special chargers called battery conditioners.
- Lithium-ion batteries: This is a rechargeable battery option that uses lithium cobalt oxide, lithium iron phosphate, or several other combinations that offer different charge results. Lithium-ion batteries have a slow discharge rate when not in use of about 2% monthly. This type can be recharged at different levels to top off the charge.
- Nickel-metal hydride batteries: NiMH batteries have a similar design to the NiCd options. They provide a nominal cell voltage of 1.2 volts and have a slow self-discharge rate. This type is designed to provide a steady voltage and has an average capacity of 2,700 mAh.
- Charge capacity: This feature will determine how long the camcorder can be in use between charges. Larger capacity batteries will allow for longer use, along with an increase in the recharge time.
- Charge time: The materials used in the camcorder battery will determine how quickly the battery can be recharged in between uses.
- Charge cycles: This feature will determine an average number of times a battery can be discharged and recharged before a new replacement needs to be selected.
- Gather information: Research the types of battery packs your camcorder uses. You will want to know the JVC camcorder model number along with the battery size.
- Select a size: Choose a capacity based on the duration needs for the camcorder. Spare batteries can also be selected as well.
A battery conditioner is a type of charger used with NiCd and NiMH batteries. This style of charger completely drains the remaining capacity on the battery before completely charging it back to full capacity.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by JVC.