What is PCI Express?
PCI Express is an expansion interface for desktop computers and servers, PCI Express (PCI-e) uses serial connectivity for higher speeds and lower pin counts than its predecessor PCI. Instead of PCIs parallel bus architecture, PCI Express leverages point-to-point topology. Each serial link consists of a full duplex pair of differential signals, known as a lane, between two endpoints. Mini PCI Express (mPCIe) is a miniature peripheral card interface for space-constrained systems such as laptops or embedded systems for Wi-Fi or 3G capability.
How do I know the right wireless card for my computer?
When choosing wireless networking hardware for your new computer, the choices available can sometimes be overwhelming. In addition to the antenna, you need to ensure you have the right wireless card for your needs. Here are the factors to consider when selecting a Wi-Fi card for your PC.
- Compatibility : The wireless card should be compatible with your computer and operating system. Most wireless cards plug into Mini PCIe, and if your computer has this slot then the card will be electronically compatible. Some cards are USB or PCI based, so ensure youre choosing a card that has the corresponding connection.
- Network: You need to ensure its right for the kind of network youll be connecting to. Wireless networking cards or WLAN cards are broken down into different variants, represented by 802.11 followed by a letter. For example, the modern wireless standard is 802.11ac. Wireless networks are cross-compatible, meaning a "g" enabled card can connect to an "n" network. However, if you want the full bandwidth and features of the latest networks, you need a matching Wi-Fi card.
- Bluetooth: Although most modern wireless cards come with Bluetooth onboard, some still dont. Bluetooth is great for connecting wireless peripherals and other devices to your computer. Like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth has multiple versions available, with the most current version being 4.0.
- Drivers : You must make sure there is a driver available for that card and the operating system you plan to use. Hence, choose cards that have a broad range of compatibility and you can always update the drivers to the newest ones.
What are the different Lenovo Wi-Fi adapters available?
- PCI adapters: These have been the mainstay of Wi-Fi connectivity since the start. Plugging into a PCI slot onto your PC, whether single port or dual port, they come with an antenna that sticks out of the back of your PC to maximize signal. Even better, if youre struggling to pick up a decent signal with a PCI card, you can easily detach the antenna and replace it with a much stronger one.
- USB adapters: USB adapters are easy to install. Granted, installing a PCI adapter definitely isnt the most complex hardware installation there is, but nothing beats plugging something into the ever-familiar USB port. If youre fearful about opening your PC to install hardware, a USB adapter will remove the need to go into your PC and tinker with the slots on your motherboard.
Content is provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not endorsed by or affiliated with Lenovo or any other brands mentioned above.