Olympus PEN Digital Cameras
Olympus released the first digital PEN cameras on June 16, 2009. Over time, they released many more models, including the Olympus PEN E-PL1, Olympus PEN-F, and Olympus PEN E-PL6, with various features. Some features include microphones, viewfinders, special lenses, and LCD screens.
What features do the first-run digital Olympus PEN cameras have?
The first release of digital Olympus PEN cameras feature the micro-four-thirds system and two interchangeable lenses. It contains adapters to use four-third lenses. This model has a 3-inch LCD screen and contrast-detection autofocus. It has a video recorder with numerous video-editing options.
What is the PEN E-P2?
Released in June 2010, this mirrorless camera features an accessory port that allows users to attach an electronic viewfinder or use the port to attach a high-definition microphone. This model comes with built-in color enhancing software and two art filters. Users can look through a flip-angle eyepiece on this camera to obtain up to a 90-degree viewing angle. This model can be found in black and silver.
What are Pen Life cameras?
Olympus released their first Pen Life, the Olympus E-PL1, on February 3, 2010. This model is available in black or champagne, and it features a 12-megapixel four-thirds-sized sensor, 6 filters, a built-in flash and an interactive live guide to help users take photos. This PEN series also includes:
- E-PL3: This model offers users continuous autofocusing when shooting in burst mode, a tiltable LCD screen, and a 12.2-megapixel sensor.
- E-PL5: This camera has a flip-up viewing screen, and 12 art filters.
- PEN E-PL6: This camera offers a 35-point focus system and 8 frames per second in continuous shooting mode.
- E-PL7: This model has a touchscreen with flip-down selfie capabilities, 81 focus points and 8.7 frames per second in continuous shooting mode.
- E-PL-8: Announced in September 2016, this model offers the ability to edit JPEG and RAW files in the unit, along with features to take selfies.
How do you choose an Olympus PEN?
There are many choices available in PEN cameras. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Choose by megapixels: If you like to print out and enlarge pictures, then consider the megapixels of the sensor.
- Choose by focus and lighting: Consider how accurately you want to be able to focus the compact camera on little areas. If you plan to shoot in low-light situations, then you may wish to choose digital cameras with a high ISO or an external flash.
- Choose by shutter speed: Shutter speed becomes an important factor if you will be shooting fast moving subjects like wildlife or sporting events. Image stabilization can also help action shots to come out more clearly.
- Choose by viewfinder: Finally, if you love to take self-portraits, consider those with a viewfinder that can face the front of the digital camera.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Olympus.